Sunday, April 5, 2009

Spiritual Definitions #4

Discretion - The ability to avoid words, actions, and attitudes which could result in undesirable consequences.

Proverbs 21:23 - "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles."

Proverbs 22:3 - "A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished."

Proverbs 2:11 - "Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:"

Okay, answer this question honestly, how often has your mouth gotten you in trouble? For me, the list would be pretty extensive. And so often, if I had just thought about what I was going to say, I would have saved myself a LOT of trouble. As I've grown older, I've learned to keep more of a chain on my tongue (sometimes). But there are days when I just want to let certain people have a piece of my mind. Would it help my testimony? No. Would it make me feel better? Yes. Would it get me in lots of trouble? YES. One thing I've learned though is that to keep from blowing up on a person if a situation happens again (which would be a major LACK of discretion), I go find someone who understands the situation, and I vent. Good friends come in very handy when that happens. :) While having discretion is not ALL about watching you mouth, a lot of it is. Proverbs 21:23 refers specifically to your mouth and tongue. So I guess more people than just me have a problem with their mouths. :D

3 comments:

Lighthouse Prayer Line said...

Hi Dellennie,

Thanks for sharing that with us! Amen & amen!

My mouth used to get me into alot of trouble. Now, I try to put it into God's hands before blowing my top. Ha. :)

Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
mind praying for the prayer requests that are
on our main page?

May the Lord bless you and your family!!

Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

ps - please consider "following" our blog
-or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

Miriam N. said...

Ah, the mouth. My bane...

I thank God that for all the help He gave me in building a guard rail. =)

Dellennie said...

An interesting way to put it......guard rail huh? And the mouth is probably my bane too......but you probably already knew that. :D